with Coach Newton
Benefits of Daily Physical Activity
It is widely acknowledged that physical activity is essential to children’s growth and development. Regular physical activity can have a positive impact on students’ physical, mental, and social well-being. In particular, physical activity is likely to have an impact on students’achievement, readiness to learn, behaviour, and self-esteem. Positive experiences with physical activity at a young age also help lay the foundation for healthy, productive lives. Research also indicates that children are in danger of developing serious diseases associated with obesity, which can result from a lack of physical activity.
Profile of a Physically Educated Student
It is the vision that each student will be physically educated by the time he/she leaves school. To be a physically educated student, each child should:
• Understand the importance and benefits of physical activity;
• Enjoy and actively participate in a variety of physical activities;
• Demonstrate positive personal/social character traits such as fairplay, teamwork and sportsmanship in a variety of physical activities;
• Develop and maintain both health-related fitness: cardio-respiratory endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition; and performance-related fitness: agility, co-ordination and balance; and
• Play safely with respect to self and others.